The Ultimate Guide to Permanent Makeup Healing
Understanding the Journey of Permanent Makeup from Start to Finish
Picture this: it’s first thing in the morning, you’ve woken up, you’re sipping on a cup of coffee and catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror. You feel an instant rush of confidence, because despite the early hour, you know you’re not going to have to spend countless minutes or hours perfecting your brows or lips.
After all, permanent makeup isn’t just about enhancing facial features — it’s also about empowering yourself and streamlining your routine.
Are you considering getting permanent makeup but feel concerned about the healing process? You’re not alone! From permanent eyeliner to lip blush, permanent makeup is a game-changer for those looking to enhance their features with long-lasting results. However, the healing process is a crucial step in achieving the desired outcome.
Whether you’re a first-timer or have experienced permanent makeup before, we’re here to offer valuable insights to optimize your healing journey. Let’s take a closer look at everything that goes into a seamless recovery.
The Most Important Things to Consider Before Getting Permanent Makeup
1. Finding Your Permanent Makeup Artist
Getting permanent makeup isn’t just about the procedure itself — it’s also about finding the right artist.
One of the most important aspects to consider is their experience and expertise. An artist with a proven track record provides a sense of trust and reliability
. In this case, it’s absolutely acceptable — and advisable — to ask for before-and-after photos of their previous work. These photos not only showcase their skill but can also give you an idea of their style and how it might align with your desires.
Furthermore, open communication stands as a pillar in this relationship. The process of getting permanent makeup is intimate and personal. You want to feel comfortable discussing your preferences, sharing your concerns, and seeking clarification. With this in mind, your artist sh
ould be approachable and receptive.
2. Pre-Procedure Matters
When it comes to permanent makeup healing, preparation is key. The things you do, eat, and drink can ultimately influence the results of your permanent makeup — which is why you want to follow the instructions given to you by your artist very closely.
Some of the tips we recommend typically include the following:
- Skincare and Makeup Routines: Two weeks out, aim to simplify your beauty routines. This ensures that your skin is in its prime state for the procedure. This means avoiding certain treatments like Botox, lash extensions, or using any hair growth products during this period.
- Protect and Prep Your Skin: In the few days leading up to the procedure, be mindful of anything that might thin the blood or irritate the skin. This includes certain medications — such as aspirin and ibuprofen — as well as alcohol and even some over-the-counter pain relievers.
- Dietary Considerations: Your diet plays a significant role in how your body heals. In the week leading up to the procedure, aim to eat a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals that can help support the skin’s natural healing process. On the other hand, it’s also best to limit caffeine and salty foods a few days prior, as they can exacerbate swelling.
- Hydration: Drink plenty of water leading up to your appointment. Well-hydrated skin can make the application process a lot smoother — and it might help with quicker recovery.
- Avoid Sunburn: In the weeks leading up to your procedure, take extra care when out in the sun. Sunburned skin is not ideal for permanent makeup procedures, so use sunblock and avoid excessive sun exposure.
Navigating the Permanent Makeup Healing Process with Grace
While the promise of the end result is enticing, it’s important to remember that the journey, in many ways, shapes the destination.
Rome wasn’t built in a day, right? Well, the same can be said about permanent makeup. It takes time for it to reveal its full beauty.
1. Understanding the Initial Response
Immediately after the procedure, it’s usual for the treated area to react. With that in mind, you might see some swelling or redness. Additionally, the immediate look of your permanent makeup might catch you by surprise: it’ll appear more vivid and pronounced than you might have expected.
However, this initial darkness is a natural and temporary part of the procedure — your permanent makeup will fade to a more natural state after a few days!
2. The Skin’s Natural Healing Process
Post-procedure, your skin will set off on a path of healing and adjustment.
A few days in, it’s not uncommon for small scabs, flakes, or dryness to surface over the treated area. These reactions are a protective response and should be allowed to fall off on their own. Whatever you do, do not pick or disturb them! Not only can doing this alter the appearance of the makeup, but it also risks unwanted scarring.
Following the scabbing, you might also find a bit of flaking. And although it might be tempting to meddle, it’s crucial to resist the urge to pick and peel. Flaking is a sign that your skin is mending and healing itself normally.
3. The Maturation of Color
An exciting phase in the healing process is watching the color evolve. While the initial shade right after the procedure might feel intensely dark, it won’t stay that way. Over the course of two weeks or so — as your skin continues to heal — the color will start to mellow, blending seamlessly with your features and reflecting the true hue of the permanent makeup.
4. Care is Key
Your role in the healing journey is pivotal. In the initial week, the treated area needs protection from excess moisture. This means shorter showers and, for the more adventurous, a temporary hiatus from dives in the ocean or laps in the pool.
Moreover, in order to let the area breathe and heal, it’s also best to avoid applying topical makeup for about five days post-procedure.
And, if you’re ever in doubt, our post-procedure guide has everything you need to know — and more! — for taking care of your skin.
Embracing the Process
In the world of beauty, permanent makeup is a game-changer. A journey of patience, understanding, and trust; it’s all about trusting the process and embracing the transformation.
So, as you consider or move forward with permanent makeup, remember that it’s not just about the end result: it’s also about the experience along the way.
With time and care, the full beauty of your decision will shine through — reflecting both your inner confidence and outer radiance.